Monday, April 12, 2010

New Amerykah?

Erykah Badu is an artist that I grew up listening to. I have always loved her music and her creativity. I look at her as a very brave influential artist. The reason why I love her is because she always thinks outside the box. Recently she has returned to music with her new album “New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh. Although the album has been released all the major buzz has been about her new video for the single “window seat.” The video ends with the singer being shot and killed at the exact same location of President John F. Kennedy’s 1963 assassination. She walks down the block taking off her clothes until she is shot. She uses this video as symbolism and at the end she recites this “They who play it safe, are quick to assassinate what they do not understand. They move in packs, ingesting more and more fear with every act of hate on one another. They feel most comfortable in groups – less guilt to swallow,” as I watched the video over and over to see what point she was trying to make I listened to many people say that they were offended or that she was crazy. I came to the conclusion the Erykah is the definition of an artist and this video is a genius display of her individuality.I appreciate what she is doing for music especially for the African American community because her music makes us think. It's a breath of fresh air to hear music and videos that make us think and do more than just get the promote partying.

No comments:

Post a Comment